Tuesday, February 07, 2006

125 Songs Before Pearl Jam

There is little order to this list, and yes, I probably broke every rule, but I hope you enjoy remembering these songs as I have.
Rather than explain why I put these songs up, perhaps, if any of them strike you, purge a memory, anything, feel free to comment.

The Captain and Tenille - Do That to Me One More Time
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Atlantic Starr - Always
Peter Cetera - The Glory of Love
Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, and Sting - All for Love
Luther Vandross - Here and Now
Michael Bolton - How Am I Supposed to Live Without You
John Secada - Just Another Day
The Cars - Drive
Aaron Neville & Linda Ronstadt - I Don't Know Much
The Commodores - Easy
Phil Collins - Against All Odds
Spandau Ballet - True
Duran Duran - Ordinary World
Tears for Fears - Sowing the Seeds of Love
Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over
John Waite - I Ain't Missing You
Mr. Big - To Be with You
Bonnie Raitt - Not the Only One
Marc Cohn - Walking in Memphis
Bruce Hornsby - That's Just the Way It Is
Joshua Kadison - Jessie
Bad English - When I See You Smile
The Jeff Healey Band - Angel Eyes
Whitney Houston - The Greatest Love of All
TLC - Baby-Baby-Baby
Wilson Phillips - Hold On
Big Mountain - Baby, I Love Your Way
Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
Mr. Mister - Kyrie
Cutting Crew - I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight
Billy Vera & the Beaters - At This Moment
Jefferson Starship - Sara
Stevie B - Because I Love You
Lisa Loeb - Stay
The Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
Peabo Bryson - If Ever You're in My Arms
James Ingram - I Don't Have the Heart
Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram - Somewhere Out There
Mike & the Mechanics - The Living Years
Meatloaf - I Would Do Anything for Love
Richard Marx - Now and Forever
Cyndi Lauper - True Colors
Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 You
Rod Stewart - Downtown Train
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's
Nelson - Can't Live Without Your Love and Affection
Kenny Loggins - Meet Me Halfway
Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
Go West - King of Wishful Thinking
Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
Boy Meets Girl - Waiting for a Star to Fall
George Michael - Freedom '90
Madonna - Like a Prayer
Calloway - I Wanna Be Rich
Milli Vanilli - Blame It on the Rain
Lisa Stansfield - Been Around the World
Dolly Parton - 9 to 5
A Ha - Take on Me
Escape Club - Wild Wild West
C&C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)
Ready for the World - Oh Sheila
The Whispers - Rock Steady
Deniece Williams - Let's Hear It for the Boy
Kenny Loggins - Footloose
Billy Ocean - Get Out of My Dreams, Get Into My Car
Inner Circle - Sweat (A La La La Long)
Soul II Soul - Back to Life
Susan Vega - Tom's Diner
Paula Abdul - Opposites Attract
Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise
New Kids on the Block - The Right Stuff
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
Color Me Badd - I Wanna Sex You Up
Technotronic - Pump Up the Jam
Salt & Pepper - Shoop
MC Hammer - Too Legit to Quit
Snow - Informer
Wrex N Effect - Rump Shaker
EMF - You're Unbelievable
Young MC - Bust a Move
Us3 - Cantaloop
Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
Scandal - The Warrior
Steve Perry - Oh Sherrie
Asia - Heat of the Moment
Pat Benetar - Hit Me with Your Best Shot
Jane Child - Don't Wanna Fall in Love
Dan Baird - I Love You Period
Squeeze - Tempted
Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
Ray Parker, Jr. - Ghostbusters
Huey Lewis & The News - The Power of Love
Bob Seger - Old Time Rock & Roll
Terence Trent D'Arby - Wishing Well
Paul Carrack - Don't Shed a Tear
Del Amitri - Roll to Me
Glass Tiger - Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone
Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight
Janet Jackson - Alright
Ini Kamoze - Here Comes the Hotstepper
Queen - We Are the Champions
Glenn Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy
John Cougar Mellencamp - Small Town
Blues Traveler - Runaround
The Spin Doctors - Two Princes
The Jeff Healey Band - Angel Eyes
Prince - Seven
They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul
Crash Test Dummies - MMM
The Flaming Lips - Tangerines
Green Jelly - The Three Little Pigs
4 Non-Blondes - What's Going On
Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
Boyz II Men - Motownphilly
Bell Biv DeVoe - Poison
R Kelly - Bump 'N Grind
Warren G - Regulate
En Vogue - Free Your Mind
Bill Conti - You're the Best
Robyn - Show Me Love
The Pointer Sisters - Pink Cadillac
Jesus Jones - Right Here Right Now
Genesis - I Can't Dance
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen
REM - It's the End of the World as We Know It
USA for Africa - We are the World

- A few of these songs may or may not have come to my attention after receiving Pearl Jam's Ten, but if they are in the same vein as the rest of the songs that appear on this list, especially if they're songs I'm embarrassed to admit to loving at one time, I felt it necessary to include them - within reason. No song on this list, to my knowledge, was released in last half of the nineties.
- Phil Collins regrouped with bandmates Genesis to record "I Can't Dance," but it was "Against All Odds" that sold me on that short, silly Englishman with the single tuft of hair.
- Rod Stewart's in a trio with Sting and Bryan Adams on the Adams-penned "All for Love," and he sings a cover of Tom Waits' "Downtown Train."
- Linda Ronstadt sings duets with James Ingram and Aaron Neville, so I counted that as one entry for her.
- James Ingram appears in a duet and on his own.
- Prince appears twice as a songwriter with "Seven" and "Nothing Compares...."
- Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, Lionel Richie, and several others I grouped under "parental influence" appear on "We are the World." And just about everyone on this list, apart from John Popper, were a part of this song, but it meant so much to me as a little kid, I had to include it.
- But it's Paul Carrack, my favorite singer of the eighties who appears on this list three times. Any guesses as to how it's possible?

1 comment:

erin said...

My initial reactions:

Atlantic Starr's "Always" was Jill & my friendiversary song.

As a small child, I used to call Peter Cetera "uglyface" whenever he came on TV.

How Am I Supposed to Live Without You reminds me of the Bayside Prom.

During naptime in preschool we used to listen to Whitney Houston's Whitney on cassette.

I saw James Ingram perform when I attended a taping of the Jenny Jones show.

Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl" was the first album I bought for myself. It was on cassette.

I believe it was Aretha who did Pink Cadillac. At least that's the version I had on 45.

The Power of Love was the first song played after midnight on New Year's. New Year's 2006.

And I don't see nothin' wrong...with a little bump and grind.