Saturday, July 08, 2006

New Music for a Nice Weekend

I spent Friday on the set of a new movie starring Vanessa Williams and Michael Boatman. I spent much of today walking around Central Park, running around Central Park, and cooling off around Central Park. It's a gorgeous day for some new music, and here's what I could come up with:

1) Belong – All Equal Now mp3
A sonic sweep to cleanse the palate.

2) Feist – Lo, How a Rose E’re Blooming mp3
Christmas in July never sounded better.

3) Rachael Cantu – Hear My Laughter mp3
Hers is an angsty, yet very familiar sounding voice. It’s an oddly spellbinding song.

4) Page France – Chariot mp3
The drive of this song is the snare of Nau’s voice. “We will become a happy ending.”

5) Toots & The Maytals – Pressure Drop mp3
This is not the first time I’ve encountered this song, but it has certainly been the best. This is perfect for a summer toke, um talk in the park. The intensity of Toots’ voice is what I love most about his uncomplicated reggae.

6) Bishop Allen – The Same Fire mp3
I feel like a drive on the PCH. “I will burn through it all unharmed / for you / you’re so beautiful / Goddamn, you’re so beautiful.”

7) Pete Yorn – The Man (featuring Natalie Maines) mp3
What works here is the proof that when reigned into the role of backing vocal, this controversial chick can sound really good. I love this song’s lyrics.

8) Margie Joseph – It’s Growing mp3
This is Saturday’s contribution to the mix. It just feels like a soft cotton Saturday, complete with a put-your-feet-up rhythm section and a King-esque wailing guitar.

9) Arthur Conley – Rome (Wasn’t Built in a Day) mp3
Horns alone could’ve expressed this song’s “hold on, woman! Give me time!” message. Conley’s more famous for his homage song “Sweet Soul Music,” but it’s clear he didn’t need to pay tribute to the greats for he was great himself.

10) Alexi Murdoch – Breathe mp3
I attended a show Nic Harcourt presented at the CMJ Festival in the fall of ’04 when Mr. Murdoch was riding out the last ounces of his “Orange Sky” fame, and I remember writing down the lyrics to this song, “and the answer that you’re seeking… drives you further to confusion as you lose your sense of ground.” I then drew an arrow to “Billy Joel – Vienna,” which will, for my life, remain a song with an almost mantra quality. “Slow down, you crazy child” might as well be followed with, “breathe.”

11) The Long Winters – Stupid mp3
“New York will hum / the electric car has come.”

12) Jurassic 5 – Baby Please mp3
Is it possible that I’m outgrowing my love of Cut Chemist and the J5 boys? This is the closest I've come to a song I would say I like from their latest, and the sad fact is I think I simply enjoy the Al Green sample.

13) Justin Timberlake – Sexy Back mp3
It’s time.

14) Certainly, Sir – Red mp3
“Can’t get you out of my head…” Certainly, Sir!

15) Lily Allen – Littlest Things mp3
A late addition, I was inspired to include this track from wee English lass Lily Allen last night. Up late with a friend, hashing out what is quickly appearing to be the end of a big and important relationship with her boyfriend and the beginning of another big and important relationship with herself, we concluded the reminiscing is often the hardest part.

16) Nelly Furtado – All Good Things (featuring Chris Martin) mp3
Ever since Coldplay hit the Zeitgeist, it’s impossible for Chris Martin to do anything and let it to go unnoticed. Even songs his record label hope to sweep under their plush carpets somehow leak. It’s weird they wouldn’t allow this relatively harmless ditty to see the light.

17) Leo Kottke – Girl from the North Country mp3
I’ve all but become obsessed with Mr. Kottke’s music since seeing Days of Heaven.

18) David Ford – State of the Union mp3
A SXSW discovery for Columbia Records, this bloke from Sussex has shot his pen full of poison.

19) Wilco – No Poetry mp3
I had never heard this.

20) Johnny Cash – If You Could Read My Mind Love mp3
My favorite Gordon Lightfoot song as sung by my favorite man, may he rest in peace.

No comments: