Wednesday, July 18, 2007

July, You Lied* – My Brown Eyes Are Dried**

With this completely unintentionally God-centric mix, things are turning around. So there, liar.

1) Stevie Wonder – We Can Work It Out
2) Paul Simon – I Know What I Know
3) Tom Petty – Wildflowers
4) Joni Mitchell – All I Want
5) The Rolling Stones – Dancing with Mr. D.
6) Ray Lamontagne – Jolene
7) Ryan Adams – These Girls
8) Uncle Tupulo – New Madrid
9) Billy Bragg & Wilco – Airline to Heaven
10) Greg Trooper – Dream Away the Blues
11) Amos Lee – Sweet Pea
12) Rocky Votolato – Postcard From Kentucky
13) Jill Barber – Two Brown Eyes
14) Charlotte Gainsbourg – The Songs That We Sing
15) Link Wray – Fire & Brimstone
16) Bongos Ikwue – Woman Made the Devil
17) Trio Palmar - Tres Besos
18) Kool & The Gang – Caribbean Festival
19) Sam & Dave – You Left The Water Running
20) Laura Lee – What a Man
21) Elton John – Burn Down the Mission
22) Edith Piaf – Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
** Bonus Track
.zip

* Before I begin, do you guys like it when I write about the tracks, or would you rather the music spoke for itself?

1) Heard this at McCarren Park’s Pool, and I couldn’t get it out of my head. It’s such a hopeful song. It’s right at that period when Wonder dropped the Little from his name and picked up his synth and joined the funk movement.
2, 3, 4, 5) These songs are from some of my desert island albums. I dusted off these bad boys and revisited them during those sadsack stages of break-up. Blue, Graceland, Wildflowers, and Goats Head Soup are albums that have been with me my whole life. I love them all. You should, too.
6) I am most attracted to this song’s chorus.
8) I think I told you about my love of Anodyne. Well, this is one more that whilst listening to recently took on new meaning with the whole New York City line.
16) Amen to that.
19) “I’m not cryin’. It’s just been rainin’ ...on my face.”
See the film la Vie en Rose. I leave you with this:

No, nothing.
No, I regret nothing.
Neither the good done to me, nor the bad;
to me, they're all the same.

No, nothing at all.
No, I regret nothing.
It's all paid for, swept away, forgotten;
I don't care about the past.

With my memories,
I've lit a fire.
My sorrows, my pleasures,
I need them no more.

Swept away are my loves
and all their tremors.
Swept away forever.
I start from scratch.

No, nothing really.
No, I have no regrets.
Neither the good done to me, nor the bad;
to me, they're all the same.

No, nothing.
No, I regret nothing.
Because my life, because my joys,
today, begin with you.

1 comment:

laura ann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.