Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Mars Bars! Mars Bars!
or How I Survived The Lenten Season

I gave up sugar for Lent - not all sugars, just the simple ones. And it was hard. I eat chocolate. Every day. As we speak, I'm eating a milk/white chocolate chip cookie from this place called Dessert Delivery: Say It With Flour in midtown. So, I needed something to satiate me during these forty days and forty nights spent trolling the dessert-free desert that is sugarless living.

I found the following:
Disc One - (Mostly) New Treats
1) The Dodos - Jody
2) The Acorn - Flood Pt. 1
3) White Denim - ShakeShakeShake
4) Vampire Weekend - A-Punk
5) Jamie Lidell - Little Bit of Feel Good
6) Gnarls Barkley - Who's Gonna Save My Soul
7) Ana Serrano van der Laan - Paradise
8) Stephany - Shame
9) Matt Weddle - Hey Ya (Acoustic Cover)
10) Mike Doughty - Fort Hood
11) Kathleen Edwards - Asking For Flowers
12) White Hinterland - Dreaming of the Plum Trees
13) Langhorne Slim - Restless
14) Lykke Li - Little Bit
15) Chris Bathgate - Serpentine
16) A.A. Bondy - American Hearts
.zip the whole thing!

Disc Two - Sustenance
1) Don Covay - Seesaw
2) Little Junior Parker - Pretty Baby
3) Gene Clark - Spanish Guitar
4) Roger McGuinn - Ballad of Easy Rider
5) Grand Funk Railroad - Feelin' Alright
6) Joe Cocker - Space Captain
7) The Grateful Dead - One More Saturday Night
8) Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
9) Leonard Cohen - Came So Far for Beauty
10) Eric Clapton with Robert Cray - Old Love
11) Beck - Feather in Your Cap
12) The Spencer Davis Group - Keep On Running
13) Amy Winehouse - Monkey Man
14) Stevie Wonder - Keep On Running
.zip the whole thing!

Notes: Disc One
1) Thanks, Mike.
2) Hooray for chants, claps, and ukuleles. That's ukuleles, plural.
10) This is dedicated to The Real Theatre Company.
16) The chorus smacks of John Adams. Both are perfect.

Notes: Disc Two
10) I found some old tablature when I went home for Easter. This sticks out as one I loved to play and listen to for hours. As Rob Gordon might've said, "I'll stick that in the summer of 2003 pile, but I'll have to remember I played it for someone who'd never really appreciate it. Much the same, I don't think she ever really appreciated me." Woe is me, Rob. Woe is me.
11) Dude, the Deluxe Edition of Odelay rulz!
12, 13) Run, see Run Fatboy, Run! A friend said, "It looks cheesy and sappy." Well, it's both, but it's good. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Max Wastler said...

I didn't realize the serious anti-war overtones in tracks 10 and 16 of disc one until I listened to it again this morning.