Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Stephen Thomas Erlewine at AllMusic posted this little article about Sufjan Stevens.

Ever since he first entered my life in 2003, I wondered why I was the only one who wasn't flipping out about Mr. Stevens' music. I wondered what my problem was. Why were my friends and roommates tripping over themselves to see one of the seemingly endless string of his shows last summer? Why did everyone and their sister think the Fisher-Price orchestrations on "...Illinoise" were ubiquitously "amazing." I'm amazed so many people were able to use the exactly same word so many times completely oblivious to one another.

I'm just happy that I finally found an article to link to that could better express my confusion with the Sufjantastical craziness. Yes, a while back, I drew links to Sufjan's music as it was available through my friend Mike's page. I'll not lie: I was going for the fast, cheap blast of hits to this ol' blog. I won't say anything more. Please read.

Ok, one more thing, a friend of mine came to New York spouting off about the latest music craze to hit Chicago since Kanye got caught in someone's closet or since R Kelly made five beats a day for three summers. Yes, it was Sufjan. And when asked to describe Mr. Stevens' music, he could think of only one word: Sufjanesque. He went so far as to correct himself... "very Sufjanesque."

If I wasn't confused prior to, said friend certainly cemented this little blogger's confusion.

No comments: