Saturday, August 19, 2006

There's something to be said for musicians. We admire them largely for what it is they can do that we can't. The same goes for athletes... and actors for that matter.

Either way, I've just reread this entire blog, and a lot of who I am is in there. I'm not sure what my taste in music says about me, but I could definitely tell you who or what I was thinking about when each mix was being made. I could have an hour-long discourse on why I chose to name a mix made in April "Yeah." Ok, that's a gross exaggeration, but this page is filled with stories. I hope my use of music to tell my stories has allowed you the freedom to invent them for yourself, and, perhaps, craft stories of your own.

But back to musicians for a second. Being somewhat musically inclined, I do enjoy picking up a guitar now and then and figuring out a song or two. Most of those who know me well know that I barely have the attention span to make it to the bridge, let alone the second verse at times, and you also know that while I enjoy picking, and I probably sound better when I pick, I prefer to strum ... as hard as humanly possible - and no one likes that.

This morning, as I was reading the past posts, I put together a collection of songs that I like to play. Besides sharing a midtempo drive, a fair share of cheese, and a lot of love, I wonder what these songs say about me. What do you think?

1) Van Morrison - Sweet Thing
2) Bob Schneider - Big Blue Sea
3) Josh Ritter - California
4) Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel
5) John Prine - Angel from Montgomery
6) The Allman Brothers Band - Melissa
7) The Beatles - Hide Your Love Away
8) Fastball - Out of My Head (Live & Acoustic)
9) Jesus Jones - Right Here Right Now
10) The Jayhawks - Save It for a Rainy Day
11) Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight
12) The Jeff Healey Band - Angel Eyes
13) James Taylor - Handy Man
14) Townes Van Zandt - Flyin' Shoes
15) Don Henley - The Heart of the Matter
16) Paul Westerberg - Only Lie Worth Telling
17) Townes Van Zandt - Dead Flowers (Live) - My Favorite Rolling Stones Cover

1 comment:

erin said...

thanks for the serenade saturday night.

p.s. i don't understand your comment.